• Shake off the winter doldrums by participating in one (or many) upcoming artistic events taking place in Gaylord this spring. Stop by the Gaylord Area Council for the Arts (GACA) Art Center, 125 E. Main St., to view its annual Juried Photography Exhibit, which on display through April 28.
This year’s exhibit was juried by Kristina Lishawa, Traverse City nature and wildlife photographer. Awards were given in two categories – traditional and hybrid photography. Traditional photos are those that relied totally on the photographic process, while hybrid photos combined more than one photo into an image and/or combined photos with another artist form. This was the first year the hybrid photography was a separate category. Winners in the “traditional” category were: 1st Place: “Mona Lisa” by Jim Bielecki; 2nd Place: “Oculus” by Jay Petersen and 3rd Place: “Snowballs & Reflections” by Jan Kellogg. Awards given in the “hybrid” category went to: 1st Place: “Brandenburg Gate” by Carlene Lagrou; 2nd Place: “House of Joy” by Kristy Avery and 3rd Place: “Cosmic Composite” by Ragnar Avery.
Up next: Fiber exhibit
GACA’s next exhibit, during the month of May, will be the “Fiber Arts Exhibit”. This is the first time in many years that GACA has sponsored an exhibit exclusively made up of fiber-based art work. The opening reception for this exhibit will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Saturday, May 5. The public is invited and light refreshments will be served.
Several workshops are planned at the Art Center for the month of April. All are designed for artists of every experience level. Call (989) 732-3242 or email email@example.com for more information or to register.
• “Funday Mondays”: Every Monday through April 30, starting at 10 a.m. Try your hand at a new craft or technique each week. All supplies provided. Fee is $5 per workshop.
• “Painting with Wool” workshop with Marge Long: Tuesday, April 10 from 1 to 4 p.m. Use wet felting techniques to create a picture of a fuzzy animal. All supplies provided. Fee is $30 for GACA members/$35 for non-members.
• “Drawing with Colored Pencils” workshop with Nina Gee: Tuesday, April 17 from 1 to 3 p.m. Create a unique drawing using colored pencils. Bring your own supplies. Fee is $20 for GACA members and $25 for non-members.
• “Soft Pastel” workshop with Sharon Wade: Thursday, April 19 from 1 to 4 p.m. Learn how to use soft pastel to create a painting from design to completion. Wear old clothes and bring a half-inch paint brush, rag and a photo to use as a reference to work from. All other supplies provided. Fee is $30 GACA members/$35 non-members.
• “Watercolor Painting” workshop with Carlene Lagrou: Thursday, May 10 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Learn more about the fine art of watercolor painting. Bring your own supplies. Fee is $30 GACA members/$35 for non-members.
Children’s workshops continue through April
• Workshops for children of all ages continue through April at the Art Center. These workshops will conclude at the end of this month, so take advantage of this last chance for your kids to sharpen their artist skills.
• “Second Saturday’s Arts & Crafts:” This month’s activity on April 14 is 3-D paper critters. For all school aged children. Drop in any time between noon and 3 p.m. Each activity takes 20-to-30 minutes to complete. Parents plan on staying with your children. The class is free, and all supplies are provided.
• “Teen Art Workshop:” – Monday, April 16 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. This month’s activity is spring acrylic painting. For all teens — 7th through 12th grades. All skill levels – all supplies provided. Free.
• “After School Art Classes” – every Monday through April 30th from 3:30 to 4:30 pm. For children third grade on up. Improve your art skills through painting, drawing, sculpture and more. All skill levels and supplies are provided. Fee is $10 per class or six classes for $50.